|DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL PLANNING|
|HOME | SEARCH | BACK|
On the reform of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forest to two ministries, namely, Ministry of Agriculture (now Ministry of Agriculture and irrigation) and Ministry of Forestry in 1992, a new department was also created on july 1992, named as the "Department of Agricultural Planning" for the management, interaction, negotiation and other services among implementing agencies under the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation and other related ministries and International Organizations, on behalf of the ministry.
The major tasks of the department are as follows.
1. Preparation and formulation of short, medium and long term agricultural plans, and projects
2. Monitoring and evaluation on project implementations, and submission findings to the Minister and different levels of authorities
3. Analysis, preparation and submission of special projects in line with the state's objectives and policies
4. Discussions, negotiations and evaluations and evaluations of completed, on-going and pipeline agricultural projects granted or loaned by United Nations' Organizations, international organizations and foreign governments.
5. Data collection, data compilation, data analysis of agricultural statistics and reporting, publishing and dissemination of agricultural information
6. Cooperation with international organizations, governments, United Nations organizations and arrangement of technical cooperation progammes for agricultural activities
7. Recommendation and submission of proposals for new projects to authorities concerned
8. Seeking donor countries or organization for the agricultural projects
9. Necessary arrangements for further study and trainings, delegations, and study tours, scholarships and selection of qualified personnel.
10. Communication, motivation and negotiation to local and foreign entrepreneurs, companies for the development of private sector in agriculture; to invest and establish mutually-beneficial trade and business in the form of Joint-Venture, 100% investment and profit sharing basis.
11. Management of trade and business activities for the promotion of agri-export system cooperated with related institutions under the ministry.
12. Participation, cooperation in organizations formed by State and other ministries for the implementation of agri-related services.
13. Building up technicians for the development of human resource in agriculture, through vocational institutions such as State Agriculture Institutes and State Agriculture High Schools.
The Director General of this department supervises the execution of the said main functions with the assistance of a Deputy Director General and two Directors who are responsible for taking charge of their respective divisions, namely, Policy, Planning, Statistics and Computer Division and International Relations and Business Division. At present the following divisions in the department have a total strength of 816 staff.
1. Policy, Planning, Statistics and Computer Division
2. International Relations & Business Division
3. Educational Training Division
4. Administrative Division
In January 1997, agricultural training institutes - 14 State Agricultural High Schools and 7 State Institutes of Agriculture-under the Ministry of Education were shifted to the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation. Among them, all Agricultural High Schools are being transformed into specialized training institutions under the specific enterprises of Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation while institutes of Agricultural Science are managed by DAP. These institutes are located throughout the country.
A core unit for agricultural activities related to ASEAN affairs was established under the management of DAP with the selected experienced staff when Myanmar become a ASEAN member. Synopsis of current activities concerned with this unit is as follows.
. Dealing with the different ministries on ASEAN affairs
. Incorporating with the other agencies under MOAI for the implementation of agricultural activities adopted by various meeting of Food, Agriculture and Forestry sector of ASEAN
. Studying and reviewing of the economy of ASEAN member countries
. Cooperation with National AFTA Unit for tariff reduction in line with the asean cept scheme
. Reporting progresses and proposals of ASEAN related activities to the government