The Union of Myanmar pursues an independent and active foreign policy
and maintains friendly relations with all countries of the world and has close
and cordial relations with all neighbouring countries. The basic concepts
of Myanmar foreign policy are as follows:-
- Myanmar steadfastly adheres to the ideals of world peace and security.
In this direction, it co-operates consistently with the United Nations and
other international organizations on the basis of, and in accordance with,
its independent and active foreign policy.
- In international relations, Myanmar consistently upholds the Five
Principles of Peaceful Co-existence namely respect for sovereignty and territorial
integrity, non-aggression, non-interference, equality and mutual benefit
and peaceful settlement of disputes.
- Myanmar firmly opposes imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism,
racism, racial discrimination, domination and subjugation.
- Myanmar supports the right of self-determination in the choice of
ideology and social system.
- In keeping with its national interests, Myanmar participates in regional
and international fora.